the boats, the sailing, the people
Who are we?
Originally formed in 1965, the Speedbird Offshore Yacht Club (SOYC) has evolved from the British Airways yacht club.
Today we own two yachts located on the River Hamble near Southampton and have an active membership of over 300 individuals from all walks of life.
SOYC offers its members cheap, if not THE cheapest, sailing in some of the UK’s most popular waters. We’re not just affordable though. As an RYA approved training centre we also offer some of the highest quality training around…
A potted history of SOYC:
- 1965 - the club was born with the purchase of yacht ‘Dainty’.
- Yacht ‘Eccola’ replaces ‘Dainty’.
- Through members’ contributions ‘Safe Arrival’, a Rival 32, was purchased as the first 'serious offshore' boat, enabling the club to winter in Majorca!
- Ownership was entrusted to BA Clubs.
- The first yacht ‘Speedbird’, a Beneteau First 35, was delivered to the club
- The club purchased yacht ‘Jambel’, a Westerly Centaur
- 1995– The second ‘Speedbird’ was delivered, a Beneteau Oceanis 390
- Yacht Mystic, a Moody 27, arrived on the scene
- 2001 – Jetstream, a Bavaria 34, joined the club
- 2002 – The third Speedbird, a Bavaria 34, was bought
- 2003 - Concorde, a Bavaria 36, was purchased and is still in service
- 2006 – the fourth Speedbird, a Bavaria 36C, was purchased.
- 2009 – SOYC becomes an RYA approved training centre
- 2011 – a new Speedbird, an Beneteau Oceanis 37 was purchased
Registered in England
Company . 05579271
Crane Lodge Road,
Middlesex TW5 9PQ
Terms Copyright SOYC 2010